First-years and sophomores to remain on campus for spring semester, to be joined by juniors and seniors

<p>&nbsp;</p>

In a Friday email from Gary Bennett, vice provost for undergraduate education, and Mary Pat McMahon, vice provost and vice president of student affairs, Duke announced that all students who request spring housing will be able to live on campus. 

The email stated that priority for new assignments will be given to seniors and juniors, followed by first-years moving on campus, followed by sophomores moving on campus, “as space allows.”

According to the email, juniors and seniors can request to live near up to three friends on West Campus, at 300 Swift, or in Duke-leased hotels and apartments. First-year students will be housed in existing first-year communities on East and West Campus.

Duke will continue to assign all students to single bedrooms and follow existing safety and sanitation protocols.

Students who plan to move onto campus or to move off-campus—including students currently on campus who wish to decline their spring housing assignment and students currently off campus who wish to move on campus—should update their housing status through Housing and Residence Life’s housing portal by Oct. 30, according to the email.

The news comes after McMahon told Duke Student Government that the University would provide spring semester housing information the second week of October.

At that DSG meeting, McMahon said that Housing and Residence Life released a survey to juniors and seniors Sept. 14 to assess the demand and needs for on-campus spring semester housing. Chris Rossi, assistant vice president of student affairs for strategic engagement, added that the University would take into account changes in local and national policy.

Provost Sally Kornbluth wrote in a July 26 email that juniors and seniors would have priority for spring semester housing if public health conditions remained the same, while first-years and sophomores would have priority for fall semester assignments. She added that first-years and sophomores would also be on campus in the spring if conditions improve.

Mona Tong profile
Mona Tong

Mona Tong is a Trinity senior and director of diversity, equity and inclusion analytics for The Chronicle's 117th volume. She was previously news editor for Volume 116.

Share and discuss “First-years and sophomores to remain on campus for spring semester, to be joined by juniors and seniors” on social media.