Prop bets for Duke football vs. Syracuse

The Blue Devils will look to pick up their first win of 2020 against Syracuse, and there are some can't lose bets on the table.

Every week the Blue Zone gives you our can't lose prop bets for the upcoming football game.

Duke (-1) at Syracuse

After a demoralizing first month of football, something feels off about the Blue Devils entering any matchup as the favorite. But beyond Duke’s winless record lies a growing collection of positive signs: their strength of schedule thus far looks more impressive with each passing week and they have entered the final quarter with a shot at victory in their two most recent defeats. Beyond that, the Blue Devils flipped the script in a big way this past weekend by winning the turnover battle for the first time this season – a significant step in the right direction for head coach David Cutcliffe’s team. Combine this upward trajectory with the fact that Syracuse owns a single win over Georgia Tech after a pair of beatdowns at the hands of North Carolina and Pittsburgh, and this near pick ‘em granted by the oddsmakers makes more sense than at first glance. While the Orange did put up 37 points a week ago behind a frenzy of interceptions from their defense, Chase Brice and the offense’s promising, mistake-free play against the Hokies has me fully convinced that Duke can avoid the Yellow Jackets’ fate and enter the win column before the day is out. Do not overthink this one: you – and your wallet – will be better off for it.

P.S. Chase Brice is pretty good at beating Syracuse. Just ask Trevor Lawrence.

Pick: Duke -1

Over/Under 52.5 points

After an impressive first two weeks, Duke’s defense collapsed against the Virginia commonwealth's ACC representatives, granting 38 points to each squad. The Orange, however, have not generated much offense on their end this season, averaging just 8.0 PPG before being gifted points by the Georgia Tech offense last weekend. And behind an injury-riddled offensive line that has yielded almost as many sacks as Duke, junior signal-caller Tommy DeVito could be in for a long afternoon against the likes of Victor Dimukeje and the Blue Devils’ pass rush. And while Duke has struggled mightily to contain the run, the Orange lack the same speed in the backfield, which has been the unit’s kryptonite this fall. Syracuse’s defense also looks primed for a big day, as the Orange lead the ACC in turnovers gained, while Duke has given the ball away more than any other team in the conference. In short, this contest figures to see both of these defenses do what they do best, and the scoreboard should reflect that. Take the under.

Pick: Under

1Q: Duke (-0.5) at Syracuse (+115)

As the old proverb goes: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! Yes, Duke may be 0-4 on the season, but they are a respectable 2-1-1 in first quarters to this point, with the only loss coming on a missed extra point against Boston College. The Blue Devils have developed a peculiar reputation as a defensive juggernaut that only lasts fifteen minutes, but that should be more than enough to trip up a Syracuse offense that matches up poorly with Ben Albert and Matt Guerrieri’s unit. Add this to an improving Duke offense that will be playing with nothing to lose, and this early bet at good value looks like a great play. For those of you who really cannot find it in your heart to bet on a Blue Devils victory after the last month of misery, then this bet is for you. Count on the visitors to exit the first frame with a lead, and walk away happily with more than double your money.

Pick: Duke 1Q (-0.5)

Jonathan Levitan

Jonathan Levitan is a Trinity senior and was previously sports editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Prop bets for Duke football vs. Syracuse” on social media.