247Sports projects Bronny James to commit to Duke men's basketball in newly-released 2023 rankings

Coach K built a relationship with Lebron James through their involvement with USA Basketball.

If 247Sports is accurate, the Blue Devils will see a high-profile prospect arrive on campus in 2023.

On Wednesday, the recruiting website released its initial composite rankings of the top high school men's basketball prospects in the Class of 2023. Coming in at No. 19 on the list was Bronny James, the oldest son of NBA legend LeBron James. 

A real source of intrigue was the logo on James' profile. According to 247's Crystal Ball, James is projected to commit to Duke when the time comes for a decision. 

James is currently a sophomore at Sierra Canyon High School in Chatsworth, Ca. The Cleveland native possesses a significant amount of athleticism and an extremely high basketball IQ.

While the prediction is only based on the prognostication of two analysts, it is still noteworthy, especially considering the relationship that the elder James has with Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski.

Krzyzewski and James developed a deep admiration for each other during their respective tenures with USA Basketball, a friendship that helped bring two gold medals home in the 2008 and 2012 Olympics. James also posted an Instagram comment in November 2018 hinting that his son could play for Duke, with Coach K going to watch Bronny play at the Nike EYBL the following April.

Obviously, a couple years will pass by before Bronny is likely ready to make a decision on the next steps past high school. However, the program would benefit on and off the floor from James deciding to spend his college days in Durham. 

Max Rego profile
Max Rego

Max Rego is a Trinity senior and an associate sports editor for The Chronicle's 118th volume. He was previously sports managing editor for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “247Sports projects Bronny James to commit to Duke men's basketball in newly-released 2023 rankings” on social media.