Duke reports five new positive COVID-19 tests for students, one for faculty and staff in weekly update

There were six new positive coronavirus tests at Duke between Sept. 5 and Sept. 11, out of 7,582 total tests, according to data released Monday on the University’s COVID-19 testing tracker.

Among students, there were five positive tests out of 7,079 total, or a positivity rate of 0.071%. 

This number includes two positives among students who participated in surveillance testing, out of 6,969 total. Additionally, three tests out of 110 were positive among students who had symptoms or were determined to have been in close contact with someone who tested positive.

There was also one new positive test among faculty and staff out of 503 total, for a positivity rate of 0.2%. No faculty or staff member tested positive from the 416 surveillance tests conducted, and one was positive out of 87 tests conducted on faculty and staff who were symptomatic or contact traced.

Compared to the week before, Duke tested 528 more students and 214 more faculty and staff.

In total, 117 people—including 110 students and seven faculty or staff—were placed in precautionary quarantine between Sept. 5 and Sept. 11, according to Monday’s update, and 103 students and 11 faculty or staff were released. A total of six people were isolated, including five students and one faculty or staff. Four students and two faculty or staff were cleared from isolation.

Since Aug. 2, Duke has administered 31,362 tests and reported a total of 58 positives among faculty, staff and students. The University has conducted multiple kinds of testing, including entry testing of every returning student, testing based on contact tracing and pooled surveillance testing of asymptomatic people. 

Separately, Duke reported 26 positive tests among student-athletes, who began a phased return to campus July 12. 

Mona Tong profile
Mona Tong

Mona Tong is a Trinity senior and director of diversity, equity and inclusion analytics for The Chronicle's 117th volume. She was previously news editor for Volume 116.

Share and discuss “Duke reports five new positive COVID-19 tests for students, one for faculty and staff in weekly update” on social media.