Duke reports 29 cases of 'more flagrant' COVID-19 rule infractions

As of Aug. 27, there were 29 pending cases of “more flagrant misconduct and persistent non-compliance by individuals or groups of students” being investigated by the Office of Student Conduct, wrote Mary Pat McMahon, vice provost and vice president for student affairs, and Gary Bennett, vice provost for undergraduate education, in a Sunday email to undergraduates. 

In their email, McMahon and Bennett shared updates on COVID-19 compliance and conduct, noting that all numbers were cumulative. In addition to the flagrant cases, 90 students have been referred for “formal educational interventions and training” for less-severe Duke Compact violations, they wrote. 

The University has tried to follow up with more than 200 formal reports filed for possible undergraduate violations of COVID-19 policies, according to the email. Several hundred students have “received verbal reminders, warnings and other interventions” from Housing and Residence Life, Student Affairs or the Compliance Team.

The email also noted that although North Carolina and Durham restrictions for events and venues “have loosened somewhat,” all Duke students are still required to follow University policies limiting group gatherings to 10 people or fewer.

The last compliance and conduct update came in an Aug. 18 email to undergraduates, which stated that as of Aug. 2, there were seven flagrant misconduct and persistent non-compliance in stances, two dozen students referred for formal educational interventions and training, and around 100 reports of coronavirus related conduct violations received by the OSC. 

Mona Tong profile
Mona Tong

Mona Tong is a Trinity senior and director of diversity, equity and inclusion analytics for The Chronicle's 117th volume. She was previously news editor for Volume 116.

Share and discuss “Duke reports 29 cases of 'more flagrant' COVID-19 rule infractions” on social media.