Prop bets for Duke football vs. Virginia

Duke is looking for its first win of the season against an experienced Virginia football team.

Every week the Blue Zone gives you our can't lose prop bets for the upcoming football game:

Duke +4.5 vs. Virginia 

The first two games of Duke’s season were eerily similar: both had a strong start, a few costly mistakes and a disappointing conclusion. But if it isn’t already clear, I believe that this is the week that Duke will flip the script. Against a defense unlikely to generate many turnover opportunities in their first game, the Blue Devils will do a far better job taking care of the ball this week, and the results will show up in a big way. While it may be difficult to bet on a Duke squad that is 0-2 against the spread, one cannot overlook the fact that they are yielding almost a touchdown to a Virginia team that is still waiting to take the field for the first time. Put your faith in Duke’s ability to keep this game close, and take Duke to cover the spread.

Pick: Duke 

Over/Under 46.0 points 

Wait, what? A 46 point over/under? After another disappointing outing on offense in which the Blue Devils mustered a mere six points, you can count on things beginning to click for Chase Brice and company this weekend. Facing off against a Virginia team that has yet to play its first game, Duke’s retooled offense has quite the head start on the opponent’s defensive unit. On the other hand, Virginia’s offense—led by new starting quarterback Brennan Armstrong—has had more than enough time to scheme against a Duke defense that is now without its top two cornerbacks in Josh Blackwell and Mark Gilbert. While the loss of the explosive Bryce Perkins under center certainly has some doubting Virginia’s ability to put up points, a veteran offensive line and backfield bring an undeniable level of continuity from last year’s high-flying group. With this game total set at an embarrassingly low 46 points, which is among the lowest this week, I would not bet against the scoreboard in this one.

Pick: Over 

First Score Method: Field Goal (+225)

Unimpressive as Duke’s 0-2 record may be, they have already shown a remarkable tendency to start strong on defense, giving up just seven first quarter points thus far. This trend figures to continue this week, as it should take this new-look Cavalier offense some time to get comfortable in the red zone. And while I truly am bullish on Duke’s offensive prospects, the fact of the matter is that they have scored only one touchdown on six red zone drives this year. With both teams poised to stall close to the goal line early on, I would take advantage of this peculiar bet at great value and hope to see the kickers make an immediate impact.

Pick: Field Goal

Jonathan Levitan

Jonathan Levitan is a Trinity senior and was previously sports editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Prop bets for Duke football vs. Virginia” on social media.