Former Duke football quarterback Daniel Jones named co-captain for the New York Giants

Jones, who threw for 52 touchdowns and over 8,000 yards in Durham, was named a captain on Tuesday afternoon.

As the NFL season approaches, all 32 teams have been deciding upon who their captains will be. When it comes to the New York Giants, a familiar face for Blue Devil fans has been recognized for his leadership.

Daniel Jones, who quarterbacked the Blue Devils from 2016 until 2018, was named an offensive co-captain alongside dynamic running back Saquon Barkley on Tuesday afternoon. The captains were voted on by each player and coach, displaying how Jones has earned the trust of the entire organization during his 16 months in East Rutherford, New Jersey. 

Clearly, this is just another example of New York feeling confident regarding their decision to draft Jones with the No. 6 overall pick in the 2019 draft. Former Giants quarterback Eli Manning served as a steady hand in both the huddle and the locker room for 16 seasons, and the Giants appear to have identified Manning's heir. By all indications, Jones has displayed a maturity level beyond his years throughout his tenure in the Big Apple. 

Jones had impressive numbers during his rookie campaign, tossing 24 touchdowns and racking up 3,027 yards through the air. While he had issues with fumbles throughout the season, another year of experience and an improved offensive line should serve as remedies for that dilemma. 

New York opens the 2020 regular season on Monday Night Football against the Pittsburgh Steelers, so the bright lights will shine down on the young signal caller right out of the gate.

Max Rego profile
Max Rego

Max Rego is a Trinity senior and an associate sports editor for The Chronicle's 118th volume. He was previously sports managing editor for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Former Duke football quarterback Daniel Jones named co-captain for the New York Giants” on social media.