Duke men's basketball's Mike Krzyzewski endorses expanding the 2021 NCAA tournament

Head coach Mike Krzyzewski continued his long history of being a leader in the college basketball world.

Duke men’s basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski issued a statement in support of the 2021 NCAA tournament being open to all eligible NCAA Division I basketball programs.

Krzyzewski endorsed the plan, which he reportedly spearheaded, on the grounds that the health and safety of all players can be guaranteed, games will be played this spring and the need for every single Division I team to be unified across the sport. His statement also comes with the support of his "fellow ACC coaches," as they move forward with making this 357-team tournament happen.

“There is no better way to [celebrate college basketball] than involving every team in the most prestigious basketball tournament on the planet,” Krzyzewski said. 

This comes as another interesting piece to the college basketball saga, as we have seen drastic changes in the landscape of the sport over the past few months. An all-inclusive tournament has upside for both players and schools alike, but whether or not it comes to fruition is still up in the air. 

Due to the unprecedented circumstances, Krzyzewski believes this NCAA tournament format "will allow a unique and unprecedented opportunity for every team and every student-athlete to compete for a national championship."

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball's Mike Krzyzewski endorses expanding the 2021 NCAA tournament ” on social media.