ACC announces fall Olympic sports schedules

Duke's fall Olympic sports teams finally know who they will be playing against this upcoming season.

It's been nearly a month since the ACC released its 2020 football schedules. 

Meanwhile, the fall Olympic sports have waited patiently while uncertainty continued to surround who they'd suit up against this fall—until now.

The ACC released the schedules for its fall Olympic sports Friday morning, impacting Blue Devil men's and women's soccer, volleyball, field hockey and men's and women's cross country.

Men's soccer will begin its season Sept. 21 with a nonconference matchup at Kentucky. The team will play Kentucky once more at home Oct. 30 in addition to a six-game conference schedule against NC State twice, North Carolina twice, Clemson and Wake Forest. The ACC tournament will begin Nov. 15 and last through Nov. 22.

Women's soccer will open its campaign with a nonconference matchup against Wake Forest this upcoming Thursday. The Blue Devils will play an eight-game conference schedule against Virginia, Wake Forest, North Carolina, Clemson, Boston College, Syracuse, Florida State and Miami while also adding two more nonconference games against Virginia Tech and North Carolina. The ACC tournament will last from Nov. 10 through Nov. 15.

The men's and women's soccer NCAA Championships are set to take place in the spring, according to both teams.

Field Hockey will begin play Sept. 18, with all 10 of its games counting as conference matchups: Syracuse, Louisville, North Carolina and Wake Forest twice apiece in addition to lone matchups against Boston College and Virginia. Their ACC tournament will take place Nov. 5-8.

Volleyball will also play a conference-only schedule, competing in eight matches: two matches each against NC State, Virginia, Virginia Tech and North Carolina.

Cross country's full schedule is yet to be determined, but the ACC Championships have been set for Oct. 30.

The conference previously included guidelines for Olympic sports seasons in its July 29 fall sports announcement, saying that each sport will play a conference schedule that meets the NCAA minimum number of games: six for field hockey, men's soccer and women's soccer and 10 for volleyball. The original plan added that any additional conference or nonconference matchups would be up to the discretion of each school, and that the additional ACC games would not count in the conference standings, though it appears that the plans related to additional ACC games have been slightly altered. 

This is a developing story. Check back for more updates.

Share and discuss “ACC announces fall Olympic sports schedules” on social media.