Duke announces 11 COVID-19 positive results out of 5,765 tests

After the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill announced Monday afternoon that the school has seen 130 students test positive out of 954 COVID-19 tests between Aug. 10 and Aug. 16, Duke announced its latest testing numbers for returning students: 11 positives out of 5,765 tests so far, or 0.19%.

The 11 students are in mandatory isolation until officials medically clear them to return to normal campus life. Duke is using East House and Jarvis, both on East Campus as isolation dorms for students living in Duke housing, with additional capacity in the Lodge at Duke Medical Center hotel.

The four positive results Duke reported last week are included in the figure announced today, meaning Duke has only had 11 total positive results since August 2. Duke has required all students coming to campus to get tested and will begin pool testing this week, starting with undergraduates.

UNC announced Monday that it would move all classes to remote only starting Wednesday. They reported four different clusters of coronavirus cases among students in recent days, after not requiring tests for all returning students.

Jake Satisky profile
Jake Satisky | Editor-in-Chief

Jake Satisky is a Trinity senior and the digital strategy director for Volume 116. He was the Editor-in-Chief for Volume 115 of The Chronicle. 

Share and discuss “Duke announces 11 COVID-19 positive results out of 5,765 tests” on social media.