Duke football releases new 2020 schedule

<p>Head coach David Cutcliffe's squad will look to get back on track.</p>

Head coach David Cutcliffe's squad will look to get back on track.

Typically, Duke football's week-by-week schedule is known months in advance. But this isn't any typical year.

After the ACC released its new, COVID-19-adjusted plan for fall sports July 29 and Duke announced its conference opponents the same day, the team released its full week-by-week schedule on Twitter Thursday morning.

The Blue Devils' schedule features a tough season-opening matchup for the second consecutive year. After a humbling 42-3 defeat at the hands of Alabama to begin the 2019 campaign, the team is set to begin the 2020 season with a trip to Notre Dame Sept. 12.

Duke is then scheduled to open its home slate against Boston College Sept. 19 before its first of two bye weeks takes place the following week. Other notable contests include the rivalry matchup against North Carolina Nov. 7 at home and a home contest against Florida State to end the season Dec. 5.

The Blue Devils' lone nonconference contest has also been announced: a home meeting against Charlotte Oct. 31. Per ACC guidelines, Duke's nonconference matchup needed to take place in the state of North Carolina. The team's original three nonconference opponents included Middle Tennessee, Elon and Charlotte.

Other changes to the Blue Devils' original 2020 schedule include adding Florida State and Boston College to its home conference slate, adding Syracuse to its road lineup and moving its matchup with Virginia from a home game to a road contest. Duke is no longer set to play at Miami or Pittsburgh, and its road contest at Notre Dame becomes a conference matchup.

The official release from Duke Athletics added that amid the COVID-19 pandemic, "the health, safety and well-being of all [ACC] campus constituents is at the forefront of all decisions. Should any future adjustments be necessary, the ACC Board of Directors will do so at the appropriate time."

The Blue Devils will look to return to a bowl game after missing out on bowl season last year for just the second time since 2012.

Share and discuss “Duke football releases new 2020 schedule” on social media.