Eighteen Duke students and alumni win Fulbright scholarship

Blue Devils will be studying, conducting research and more throughout the world next year, with a little help from the U.S. Department of State.

Eighteen Duke students and alumni were awarded Fulbright Scholarships for the 2020-21 academic year, the University announced in a Monday news release. Run by the State Department's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, the Fulbright Program provides grants to teach English, study, conduct research or pursue professional projects abroad.

Last year, nine Duke alumni and one Ph.D. candidate were named Fulbright scholars.

“This year we were delighted to have 81 applications from Duke for these Fulbright awards,” Bevin Tighe, Duke’s program coordinator for nationally competitive scholarships, said in the release. “We hope to build on that momentum with even more applicants in 2020. Fulbright prizes the diversity of its awardees’ experiences and backgrounds, and we hope that Duke students and alumni will reach out for support to pursue this life-changing opportunity.”

The following is a list of the recipients, along with their countries of study and project titles: 

• Jasmine Alexander-Greene, senior: Russia, English Teaching Assistant
  • James Budinich, Ph.D. candidate in music composition: Denmark, Engaging Simplicity: Composing After the Danish New Simplicity Movement
  • Elise Cai, senior: Taiwan, English Teaching Assistant
  • Natasha Derezinski-Choo, Trinity ‘19: Cameroon, Many Medicines and Many Languages: The Sociolinguistic Underpinnings of Medical Pluralism
  • Nathan Drapela, Ph.D. candidate in German studies: Switzerland, Narrative and the Development of Modern Selfhood, 1800-1910
  • Maram Elnagheeb, senior: Jordan, English Teaching Assistant
  • Allison Geary, senior: Bahrain, English Teaching Assistant
  • Lea Greenberg, Ph.D. candidate in German studies: Germany, Language, Literacy, and Jewish Female Desire in German and Yiddish Literature
  • Tiarra Hughes, senior: Colombia, English Teaching Assistant
  • Ralph Lawton, senior: Indonesia, Creating Culturally Specific Population Tools for Alzheimer’s Diagnostics and Prevention
  • Tina Liang, Trinity ‘17: Taiwan, English Teaching Assistant
  • Jessica Marlow, senior: Taiwan, National Taiwan University Award in Global Health
  • James Rees, Trinity ‘19: Laos, English Teaching Assistant
  • Max St. George, Trinity ‘19: Malaysia, English Teaching Assistant
  • Sahil Sandhu, senior: United Kingdom, Fulbright/Newcastle University Award for a master’s degree in Heath Services Research
  • Michael Shu, senior: Taiwan, English Teaching Assistant
  • Andrew Tsai, senior: Taiwan, English Teaching Assistant. 
  • Austin Zhang, senior: South Korea, English Teaching Assistant

Update: This story was updated at 12:24 a.m. Tuesday to include Tsai's country of study, which was not in the news release. Tsai wrote in an email that he is studying in Taiwan.

Matthew Griffin

Matthew Griffin was editor-in-chief of The Chronicle's 116th volume.

Share and discuss “Eighteen Duke students and alumni win Fulbright scholarship” on social media.