Wealth gap series: Exploring how wealth impacts the student experience

The wealth gap series is a collection of articles examining how wealth disparities impact students on campus. Released over four days, the articles cover topics from spending habits to resources for low-income students.

Opinion | Editor’s note: Why we created the wealth gap series

Part of our mission at The Chronicle is to bring awareness to issues important to the student body, including efforts to better represent marginalized communities on campus.

Features | ‘We are tenacious’: The first-generation, low-income student experience at Duke

Many feel anomalous, hidden and two steps behind. More overwhelmingly, members of the first-generation, low-income community say they are tenacious, deserving and proud of their identity.

wealthgap2.png

News | From $0 to $2500 a month, how much money students spend and what they spend it on

The Chronicle conducted an informal survey of 57 participants, where students answered questions about their monthly personal spending, the source of their spending money and what they spent it on.

updated photo spending graph2.png

Opinion | Life after Duke when you're low-income

"Being poor was part of my identity for most of my life, but it’s not anymore. It is the best, strangest, most isolating thing to have ever happened to me," writes Lindsay He, Trinity '14.

News | Institutional barriers deter efforts to close the wealth gap, some students say

Duke has expanded financial aid in recent years, and faculty and students continue to work to make the University more accessible. But some students say institutional barriers, including bureaucracy and a lack of public spaces for dialogue, make that work difficult.

barrier photo Nina.jpg

News | Wealth disparities extend to the arts and humanities, and so do efforts to address them

As with many aspects of life at Duke, wealth disparities play a role in shaping students’ experiences in the arts and humanities.

News | What resources does Duke provide for its first-generation, low-income students?

The Chronicle compiled some of the resources that Duke offers to support first-generation and low-income students on campus

advising sign.jpg
Courtesy of the Academic Advising Center

Share and discuss “Wealth gap series: Exploring how wealth impacts the student experience” on social media.