The independent news organization of Duke University

Students get parking reimbursement, fees suspended for faculty and staff passes

<p>Students said that they often cannot find an open spot in the Blue Zone lot, where undergraduates park.</p>

Students said that they often cannot find an open spot in the Blue Zone lot, where undergraduates park.

After announcing details on housing and dining refunds last week, Duke released more information about parking passes over the weekend. 

With Durham under a stay-at-home order and campus access limited, the University is cutting parking costs for students, faculty and employees. Graduating seniors with Spring 2020 parking passes will receive a refund via direct deposit or mailed check, and other students will get a credit for the Fall semester, according to an email from Parking and Transportation Services. 

The credit or refund will cover the parking pass fees from mid-March—when Duke suspended on-campus undergraduate classes and limited access to campus—through mid-August, when the passes expire.

In a separate news release, Duke also suspended all parking permit fees—which are usually deducted directly from paychecks—for faculty and staff through June. Even with fees lifted, the parking passes will stay active for the usual parking lots.

"We hope this measure provides some financial flexibility for individuals who have had to make accommodations to address personal or childcare needs to continue to support our vital work at Duke or those who have had to make adjustments to work remotely," Vice President for Administration Kyle Cavanaugh said in the release. 

Share and discuss “Students get parking reimbursement, fees suspended for faculty and staff passes” on social media.