Here are the Duke events and programs canceled due to COVID-19

Amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, all on-campus events until June 30 have been officially canceled or postponed. Here’s an overview of some popular events that have been canceled due to the pandemic.

Arts and performances 

Duke Performances events featuring Black Atlantic, Tallis Scholars and Lila Downs, among other performers, have been canceled for the rest of the season. The Brickside Music Festival—an annual music festival from Duke Coffeehouse and WXDU—will also be called off. 

Originally scheduled for April 25, the Nasher Museum of Art’s 2020 Art Gala has been postponed. With most students off campus, spring performances and recitals of Duke Wind Symphony, Duke Symphony Orchestra and Duke Chorale have been canceled.  

Future sessions of the Duke Create Workshop Series, a free arts workshop series for the Duke community taught by local artists and students in the Master of Fine Arts and Documentary Studies program, have also been called off for the Spring semester. 

Academics

Blue Devil Days, where admitted students from the Class of 2024 get to explore campus and meet potential future peers, has also been canceled, though a virtual session has been put in place.  

Current Duke undergraduates won’t have on campus Summer Session I classes. All on-campus events are restricted for Summer Session I, including the Huang Fellows Program and other interdisciplinary opportunities such as Bass Connections.

Additionally, the 2020 Visible Thinking Symposium, an annual event that features work from undergraduate researchers in a variety of fields, is canceled. Instead, an abstract featuring the work of student researchers will be organized and published.  

The Class of 2020’s commencement ceremony has also been postponed

Athletics

Duke has announced the cancellation of all athletic events and practices through the end of the 2019-20 academic year, including NCAA tournaments. Dream trips for club sports have also been canceled. 

Miscellaneous

Several religious events such as Easter Vigil Service, the Freeman Center’s 20th anniversary celebration, the Duke Center for Muslim Life Alumni Reunion and the Duke Hindu Students Assocation Holi Celebration have been canceled.  

Alumni events, including the Chicago Joint Alumni Networking Event and Alumni Entrepreneurship Bootcamp sponsored by Duke have been officially cancelled. 

And of course, LDOC celebrations on campus will not take place.  

“At this time, we are unable to release the lineup for LDOC 2020,” wrote junior Catherine Oliver senior Allegra Aguiar, LDOC committee co-chairs, in an email. “However, we are hoping to bring the Duke community together through virtual programming on LDOC. We are also working on a larger event to be hosted in the fall.”

Share and discuss “Here are the Duke events and programs canceled due to COVID-19” on social media.