Cason Pierce commits to Duke men's basketball as preferred walk-on

Pierce is sure to eventually become a fan favorite for head coach Mike Krzyzewski and the Blue Devils.

After losing a member of its 2020-2021 roster just a day ago, the Blue Devils have added another component to their squad. 

Cason Pierce, a 6-foot-7 guard/forward combo, announced his commitment via Twitter Friday afternoon. Although the Greensboro, N.C., native later deleted that tweet, he kept a retweet of another account announcing his commitment.

Duke already has a highly-skilled 2020 recruiting class, but Pierce took the preferred walk-on spot and opted to join The Brotherhood. 

The chances of Pierce touching the floor next year are slim and he will likely follow the paths of Michael Savarino and Keenan Worthington and redshirt his first season. The Greensboro Day School product also received interest from several other schools, including Princeton and Northwestern. Although Duke fans will likely have to wait significant time to see Pierce in action, his commitment provides more depth to the second-ranked recruiting class in the country.

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Cason Pierce commits to Duke men's basketball as preferred walk-on” on social media.