How to vote in Durham on Super Tuesday (and get a Lyft promo code)

If you missed early voting, no need to worry. The Chronicle has you covered for the logistics of voting on Super Tuesday, from voting locations to transportation.

Although there will be no on-campus voting sites March 3, students can vote at local polling locations depending on whether they’re on West or East Campus, wrote B.J. Rudell, associate director of Duke’s Center for Political Leadership, Innovation and Service, in an email to The Chronicle. 

West Campus students who are registered North Carolina voters can only cast their ballots at W.I. Patterson Recreation Center at 2614 Crest St., while East Campus students will be able to vote at George Watts Elementary School, located right off of East Campus at 700 Watts St, Rudell added. 

Polls close at 7:30 p.m. Voters do not need to produce an ID to vote due to an injunction from a federal district court that temporarily blocked North Carolina's voter ID law from going into effect.

Duke also recently approved a Lyft promotional code for West Campus students voting at the W.I. Patterson Recreation Center, according to Adam Beyer, associate in research for the Hart Leadership Program. He wrote in a March 2 email that all rides must start and finish at the Bryan Center bus stop on Science Drive.

In addition to the presidency, N.C. primary voters will be selecting candidates for a variety of local and state offices during Tuesday’s primary.  

For the U.S. Senate election, Incumbent Republican Sen. Thom Tillis will face three Republican challengers, and there are five Democratic senatorial candidates, with State Senator Erica Smith, former State Senator Cal Cunningham and Mecklenburg County Commissioner Trevor Fuller as the frontrunners. 

Democrat Army veteran Ernest Reeves is challenging incumbent Democrat Governor Roy Cooper, with N.C. Lt. Gov. Dan Forest and N.C. House Rep. Holly Grange as the candidates on the Republican primary ballot.

A current Duke professor will be on the ballot for North Carolina state treasurer, Democrat Aaron ”Ronnie” Chatterji. Chatterji, professor at the Fuqua School of Business and Sanford School, is running against Charlotte City Council Member Dimple Ajmera and Matthew Leatherman, former policy director in the Department of State Treasurer, in the Democratic primary.

“We’re working through various channels to help spread the word, so that frustration and disenfranchisement are minimized,” Rudell wrote.

Editor's Note: This article was updated with additional information on poll closing times and voter IDs.

Mona Tong profile
Mona Tong

Mona Tong is a Trinity senior and director of diversity, equity and inclusion analytics for The Chronicle's 117th volume. She was previously news editor for Volume 116.

Share and discuss “How to vote in Durham on Super Tuesday (and get a Lyft promo code)” on social media.