Here's what items Duke will and won't ship to you at home

Wondering what you'll be able to get from your dorm? 

After Duke told students March 11 that they could retrieve their belongings from their dorm before March 22, Student Affairs reversed its decision the next day and barred students from coming to campus unless their personal safety or health was at risk. In a new email, students were told that their essential items would be shipped to them. 

Today, Joe Gonzalez, assistant vice president of student affairs and dean for residential life, emailed students and let them know what items Duke will ship from their dorms—and what they won't ship. Students must fill out a form to detail which essential belongings they need, and Duke will start shipping them March 16.

Gonzalez also asked students to note if there is perishable food that would need to be disposed or any fish or plants that would need cared for in their rooms. The following lists are specific items for shipping from the email sent Friday afternoon.  

What Duke will ship:

• Laptop/iPad, chargers
  • Academic notebooks/books critical for currently enrolled classes
  • Passport 
  • Car/house keys
  • Phone 
  • Prescription eyeglasses 
  • Wallet

What Duke will not ship:

• Clothing
  • Bedding
  • Room decorations
  • Health and beauty items 
  • Academic materials for previous semesters
  • Game systems/TV/external monitors
  • Music equipment/instruments
  • Food 
  • Prescription medications

The Chronicle will keep you posted on more details as we learn new information. 

Editor's Note: Duke updated its shipping policy and will not ship prescription drugs because it is illegal to do so.

Jake Satisky profile
Jake Satisky | Editor-in-Chief

Jake Satisky is a Trinity senior and the digital strategy director for Volume 116. He was the Editor-in-Chief for Volume 115 of The Chronicle. 

Share and discuss “Here's what items Duke will and won't ship to you at home” on social media.