Results from Super Tuesday at Duke, North Carolina and beyond

Shortly before California's Democratic Primary was called, Editor-in-Chief Jake Satisky sat down with Managing Editor Nathan Luzum and Opinion Editor Leah Abrams to talk about the night's results.

Super Tuesday is here. Voters in 14 statesincluding North Carolinaheaded to the polls Tuesday to cast ballots for their preferred primary candidate. As an ever-narrowing field of candidates careens closer to convention day, The Chronicle will be providing the latest updates from North Carolina and around the country.

Chronicle editors break down election results

Final results for key races (March 4 at 1:15 a.m.)

President: Joe Biden won the North Carolina Democratic primary with 43% of the vote, besting Bernie Sanders at 24% and Michael Bloomberg at 13%, as part of a strong Super Tuesday showing for the former vice president. Unsurprisingly, Pres. Donald Trump won the Republican primary.

Governor: Incumbent Roy Cooper convincingly won the Democratic primary, and he'll be facing current Lieutenant Governor Dan Forest, who also easily won the Republican primary, in the general election.

Senator: Cal Cunningham won the Democratic primary over his main competitor, Erica Smith, 57% to 35%. He'll battle incumbent Republican Sen. Thom Tillis in November.

Attorney General: Jim O'Neill won the Republican primary, meaning he'll face off against incumbent Democrat Josh Stein.

Treasurer: Duke professor Ronnie Chatterji won a tightly-contested Democratic primary, and he'll run against incumbent Republican Treasurer Dale Folwell.

NC Senate District 20: Natalie Murdock won the Democratic primary in Duke's senate district. 

-Jake Satisky

Chatterji up 20,000 with 99% reporting (March 3 at 11:41 p.m.)

Duke professor Ronnie Chatterji should win the Democratic NC Treasurer primary in a hotly contested primary against Dimple Ajmera and Matt Leatherman.

-Jake Satisky

Biden leading in Durham County (March 3 at 10:05 p.m.)

With 35 of 57 precincts in, Biden currently leads the Democratic presidential primary voting in Durham County. Sanders occupies second place, and trails Biden by more than 3,000 votes.

However, Sanders is winning the precinct that includes West Campus.

-Nathan Luzum

Frontrunners claim one state each (March 3 at 9:30 p.m.)

The AP projects Biden as the victor in Oklahoma and Tennessee, and Sanders as the winner in Colorado. That puts the former vice president at five states won tonight, and the Vermont senator at two states.

-Nathan Luzum

Incumbents claim easy victories (March 3 at 9 p.m.)

President Donald Trump is projected to win the Republican presidential primary with 94% of the vote in North Carolina, as 15% of precincts are reporting. Incumbent Sen. Thom Tillis, R-N.C., is also projected to win the Republican Senate primary with 79% of the vote.

Gov. Roy Cooper also cruised to a win, with 89% of voters opting for the current governor.

-Nathan Luzum

Sanders' campaign co-chair comes to campus (March 3 at 8:46 p.m.)

Nina Turner, a former Ohio state senator and co-chair of Sanders' campaign, came to a Duke Students for Bernie "GOTV party" at 1 p.m. today. She's also attending the group's watch party at The Pinhook, according to a Facebook event.

-Jake Satisky

200303_NinaTurner_HenryHaggart118.jpg

Cunningham captures Senate nod (March 3 at 8:40 p.m.)

Cal Cunningham, a former state legislator and U.S. Army veteran, won the Democratic nomination for U.S. Senate, the Associated Press projected. With 5% of precincts reporting, he currently holds 58% of the vote, with Erica Smith, a North Carolina senator, in second place at 33%.

-Nathan Luzum

Duke professor leads NC treasurer race (March 3 at 8:30 p.m.)

Ronnie Chatterji, a professor at the Fuqua School of Business and Sanford School of Public Policy, is narrowly leading the North Carolina treasurer race with 36% and 143,306 votes. However, only 2% of precincts are reporting. 

Dimple Ajmera is in second place with 136,079 votes, and Matt Leatherman rounds out the pack with 114,108 votes.

-Nathan Luzum 

Biden snags another state (March 3 at 8:05 p.m.)

CNN has projected that Biden will win Alabama, his third projected win of the evening. 

-Nathan Luzum

Bloomberg wins American Samoa (March 3 at 8 p.m.)

ABC News has projected Bloomberg to win the American Samoa, which nets him six delegates. Only around 350 people voted in the Democratic primary there.

-Nathan Luzum

Other states called early as well (March 3 at 7:36 p.m.)

The New York Times has called Virginia for Biden and Vermont for Sanders. Virginia will award a total of 99 delegates, and Vermont—Sanders’ home state—is worth 16.

-Matthew Griffin

CNN calls North Carolina for Biden (March 3 at 7:34 p.m.)

Polls closed at 7:30 p.m. in North Carolina, and CNN immediately called the state for Biden based on exit polls.  

-Jake Satisky

Early voting on campus (March 3 at 6:50 p.m.)

Although Duke didn’t have an election day voting site, the Brodhead Center was home to an early voting station for more than a week. Registered students living on campus had an estimated early voting turnout of 34%, three times the state’s 11.4% turnout and highest among universities in North Carolina.

Duke also offered students Lyft promotional codes for students to vote on election day, as the polling station for West Campus is a 20-25 minute walk.

More generally, analysis by EQV Analytics showed that in North Carolina, two-thirds of unaffiliated individuals voted on the Democratic ballot, and that more black Democrats voted early than in 2016.

Election day polling stations are set to close at 7:30 p.m. in North Carolina.

-Nathan Luzum

The latest polling (March 3 at 6:45 p.m.)

Former Vice President Joe Biden won South Carolina handily, and his victory reverberated in polls across the nation, including those in North Carolina.

Three polls released Tuesday show Biden in leading Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., by anywhere from 9 to 27 points. Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., occupied a more distant third and fourth spot, respectively. 

Many polls released last week—before Biden’s drubbing of Sanders in South Carolina—showed the two candidates as being neck-and-neck. 

-Nathan Luzum

Share and discuss “Results from Super Tuesday at Duke, North Carolina and beyond ” on social media.