Duke Diya endorses Tommy Hessel for DSG president

endorsements

The executive board of Diya recently had the opportunity to hear from the two candidates running for President of Duke Student Government. Valeria and Tommy both raised some very important issues and highlighted key areas requiring change on Duke’s campus. After listening to their visions and conversing with both of them, we have chosen to endorse Tommy Hessel for the position of DSG President.

Both candidates were highly qualified and we believe both would fit the role well. Valeria Silombria raised incredibly important points regarding international students and their access to crucial information about their post-graduate and summer opportunities and considerations. Her numerous, diverse experiences make her a highly qualified candidate for the position. Ultimately, we felt as though Tommy had more concrete ideas on ways to foster inclusive change at Duke. We related to many of the egalitarian issues he brought up in our short exchange and believe his experience in serving as a liaison between the student body and administration will make him best suited for President.

Signed,

The Executive Board of Diya 2019-2020

Co-Presidents: Shreya Bhatia Trinity ’20 and Yousuf Rehman Pratt ‘20

Note: Manish Kumar ‘20 and Meghna Mahadevan ‘22 did not participate in deliberations or voting due to potential conflicts of interest.

Editor's Note: Your group may submit your endorsements to Leah Abrams and Jake Satisky by 8 p.m. on Wednesday, March 4. Read our full endorsement policy here.

Share and discuss “Duke Diya endorses Tommy Hessel for DSG president” on social media.