Duke men's basketball's Tre Jones to enter NBA Draft

Jones averaged 16.2 points and 6.4 assists per game this past season.

Any hope Duke fans have of star point guard Tre Jones returning for his junior campaign is all but gone.

In a recent Q&A with 247Sports' Evan Daniels, head coach Mike Krzyzewski discussed whether he's been able to talk with any of his players about the NBA Draft.

"Obviously Tre Jones we know is going to go, whenever he announces," Krzyzewski said. "The guys we get good feedback from, are Vernon Carey should get good feedback, hopefully Cassius Stanley but we will see. I think you have to wait and see."

Saturday morning, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported that Jones told him that he will be entering the draft. Later Saturday afternoon, Duke confirmed that he would leave in a press release.

"When I started my journey at Duke my main goal was to win a national championship," Jones said in the release. "Given what has had happened in our world recently, our season was cut short and we never got the opportunity to bring No. 6 back home. I think about what if, what would have happened if we got that chance? But I can't think about what didn't happen, I can only think about what did happen. What did happen was the amazing experiences and relationships I gained with my brothers, the knowledge I received from Coach K and all of the Duke staff to become a better player and person, and the endless support from the Crazies and all the Duke fans. Duke has taught me what it means and what it takes to be the best at what I do. My journey is just getting started. As I look to begin my career at the next level I will always and forever cherish everything Duke."

Jones took home both ACC Player of the Year and ACC Defensive Player of the Year honors this past season, while Carey was named ACC Freshman of the Year and Stanley tabbed to the conference's All-Freshman Team.

After averaging 9.4 points as a freshman, Jones greatly expanded his offensive game after former teammates Zion Williamson, R.J. Barrett and Cam Reddish left for the NBA. The Apple Valley, Minn., native's 16.2 points this year placed second on the team, with the guard improving his 3-point percentage from 26.2 to 36.1 percent.

"This is such a special moment for Tre and his family," Krzyzewski said in the release. "I couldn't be prouder of what he accomplished this season as both the ACC Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year. He's been the heart and soul of our program over the last two seasons, and it's been a joy for me to watch him develop as a player and leader. There aren't many as competitive as him, and I know the best is yet to come. I want to thank Tre for being such a pleasure to coach, and I wish him nothing but the best as he pursues his NBA career."

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball's Tre Jones to enter NBA Draft” on social media.