Coach K calls for senior athletes to have another year of eligibility

Coach K appeared visibly frustrated at times during the game

With the cancellation of all NCAA winter and spring championships, many are calling for seniors whose final college seasons were abruptly ended to receive an extra year of eligibility.

Duke men's basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski is one of those people.

While the five-time national champion initially stated the action should be done for seniors within spring sports at the minimum, he also believes the NCAA should look into extending eligibility for some winter sports as well.

"I would hope that there would be some relief, at least for the spring sports, that people would be granted an extra year of eligibility," Krzyzewski said in a video posted on Duke men's basketball's official Twitter account Friday afternoon. "The seniors would be able to come back [and] scholarship limits would be flexible in that regard.... I think that the seniors being eligible for spring sports is something that should be done.

"And I think that when they do that, they should put on the table for discussion, ‘What about the kids who were not able to finish their senior years playing basketball?’"

Krzyzewski did acknowledge that extended eligibility for basketball could be more complicated since "only about 20 percent of the NCAA men's basketball teams have made it—most seasons were over already."

The full video can be seen in the tweet below.

ESPN has since reported that the NCAA is going to discuss granting eligibility relief.

Share and discuss “Coach K calls for senior athletes to have another year of eligibility” on social media.