Meet the candidates for Duke Student Government president and EVP

<p>Clockwise, from top left: Dina Qiryaqoz, Tommy Hessel, Kait Boncaro, Valeria Silombria</p>

Clockwise, from top left: Dina Qiryaqoz, Tommy Hessel, Kait Boncaro, Valeria Silombria

Duke Student Government elections are March 5 and 6, and the campaigns are in full swing. But who are the people behind them?

Juniors Tommy Hessel and Valeria Silombria are running for DSG president, and junior Kait Boncaro and sophomore Dina Qiryaqoz are competing for executive vice president. Each brings a distinct background and set of priorities to the race.

Check out the profiles below for in-depth information about each candidate. If you don't have time, try our quick guide to the candidates. 

Tommy Hessel

Hessel, currently vice president for campus life, wants to foster collaboration and democratize access to resources on campus as DSG president. 

Junior Tommy Hessel is one of two candidates running for Duke Student Government President this year. For more information about him and the election, visit DukeChronicle.com. Video by Bre Bradham and Ashwin Kulshrestha Edited by Bre Bradham

Valeria Silombria

If elected as DSG president, the current vice president for Durham and regional affairs would aim to make Duke more affordable, promote connections to Durham and push Duke to develop a hate speech and hidden bias policy.

Junior Valeria Silombria is one of two candidates running for Duke Student Government President this year. For more information about him and the election, visit DukeChronicle.com. Video and editing by Bre Bradham

Kait Boncaro

Boncaro is the current vice president for services and sustainability, and she wants to improve access to important information about Duke as EVP.

Junior Kait Boncaro is one of two candidates running for Duke Student Government Executive Vice President this year. For more information about him and the election, visit DukeChronicle.com. Video and editing by Bre Bradham

Dina Qiryaqoz

Qiryaqoz, a senator on the academic affairs committee, hopes to redefine the EVP position while tackling a variety of projects.

Sophomore Dina Qiryaqoz is one of two candidates running for Duke Student Government Executive Vice President this year. For more information about him and the election, visit DukeChronicle.com. Video by Bre Bradham and Jake Satisky Edited by Bre Bradham

Share and discuss “Meet the candidates for Duke Student Government president and EVP” on social media.