Engineering Student Government endorses Tim Skapek for Young Trustee

The Engineering Student Government endorses Tim Skapek for the position of Young Trustee. All four finalists, Tim Skapek, Ibrahim Butt, Leah Abrams and Maryam Asenuga are candidates with incredible potential and have done amazing jobs as on-campus leaders in their four years at Duke. Having listened to each candidate talk about their passions and reasons for running for the YT position, the executive board collectively believes that Tim’s diverse experiences, institutional knowledge of Duke and ability to identify flaws and push through boundaries makes him the best candidate to assist Pratt’s continued advancement and growth as one of the country’s preeminent engineering institutions.

Tim not only possesses qualities of a team-player but also of a leader and someone who embraces change. He is a candidate that has demonstrated initiative and a drive to innovate. He co-founded the company Protect3d that designs customized, 3D-printed protective wear for athletes and won the NFL’s 1st and Future Competition at the 2020 Super Bowl. We believe that Tim’s experience as a leader his company equips him to continue advocating for students in the boardroom.

As an engineer himself, Tim understands that the engineering community (both students and faculty) is an important addition to a diverse body. Tim was also a walk-on football kicker and is the president of Dukes and Duchesses. As a member of a range of different communities on campus, Tim has experienced a various key aspects of being part of the Duke community, and ESG believes that this has positioned him to best influence the Board of Trustees.

As an organization dedicated to supporting and advocating for the Pratt undergraduate student body, we hope that the Young Trustee will continue to work with us to represent the university as a whole. As such, ESG is confident Tim Skapek is the best candidate for Young Trustee.

Polin Liu, Pratt 2021

Duke Engineering Student Government, President

Editor's note: Abrams is the opinion editor for The Chronicle. The Opinion section played no role in the Young Trustee endorsement process, as outlined in this year's endorsement policy. If your organization would like to submit an endorsement to The Chronicle, please read the policy. 

Share and discuss “Engineering Student Government endorses Tim Skapek for Young Trustee” on social media.