Duke in the NBA: Seth Curry overtakes brother and trade deadline sends two packing

Seth Curry just earned some family bragging rights.

Zion Williamson continues to dominate the hardwood in new and refreshing ways this season. However, Zion isn't the only former Blue Devil to make a splash in the past week. The Blue Zone takes a look at recent commendable performances by former Duke standouts and shake-ups caused by the NBA trade deadline:

Seth Curry, Dallas Mavericks

The former Duke guard passed his older brother Stephen Feb. 8 as the NBA’s active leader in 3-point shooting percentage. The milestone came after Curry made a 30-foot triple early in a game against the Charlotte Hornets, elevating him to 43.53 percent in his career. Curry has made himself comfortable with the Dallas Mavericks, filling a role as a secondary ball handler and reliable sharpshooter.

Zion Williamson, New Orleans Pelicans

Right now, the entire basketball world’s eyes are on Zion. The rookie phenomenon scored a career-high 31 points against Portland Feb. 11 and followed that performance up with another career-high 32 points against Oklahoma City two days later. Ten games into his rookie season, Williamson is averaging 22.1 points and 7.5 rebounds per game and is looking to overtake Ja Morant as the frontrunner for the Rookie of the Year title.

Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics

The newly-minted All-Star scored 39 points on 60.9-percent shooting in a double-overtime thriller against the Clippers Feb. 13. The former third overall pick also played tremendous defense on former MVP Kawhi Leonard, forcing a bad shot in a pivotal possession near the end of the game. Tatum has scored at least 30 points in three of his last five games and has developed into a star with the Celtics, making vast improvements on both ends of the floor in just his third season.

Justise Winslow, Memphis Grizzlies and Jabari Parker, Sacramento Kings

Two former Blue Devils found new homes on the day of the NBA trade deadline. 

Justise Winslow, who was a member of the 2014-2015 Duke basketball team that won the national championship, has reunited with former Duke teammates Tyus Jones and Grayson Allen as a member of the Memphis Grizzlies. Some have dubbed the trio the "Beale Street Brotherhood." On the morning of February 6, Winslow was filmed showing his appreciation towards the Miami Heat and his excitement to begin a new chapter with the Grizzlies.

Jabari Parker, who was beginning to fill a pivotal role as a rebounding forward with the Hawks, was also traded on February 6, joining the Sacramento Kings.

USA Basketball finalists

Four former Blue Devils were announced as finalists for the 2020 U.S. Olympic Men’s Basketball Team. Here are the players, all of whom have experience on Team USA:

Kyrie Irving, Brooklyn Nets 

Mason Plumlee, Denver Nuggets

Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics

Brandon Ingram, New Orleans Pelicans

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Seth Curry overtakes brother and trade deadline sends two packing” on social media.