Evan Kolin elected Chronicle sports editor of Vol. 116

Evan Kolin was elected to serve as Sports Editor for The Chronicle’s 116th volume in a department-wide meeting Friday night.

The sophomore from Bloomfield Hills, Mich., will replace Derek Saul, and his term will begin April 22, Duke’s last day of classes for the 2020 spring term.

"I am beyond excited to use what I’ve learned over the past two years to improving the future of The Chronicle’s sports department," Kolin said. "We’ve done a lot of great things, but I know there are ways to get even better, and I can’t wait to be a part of that."

In his campaign platform, Kolin emphasized renewed and cutting-edge coverage of all Duke sports. Kolin also promised a bigger focus on social media and video coverage of Duke sports, as The Chronicle as a whole moves further into a digital world. He plans on using the wide range of skills in the sports department to give readers the best insights possible.

Kolin has served as an assistant Blue Zone editor this year, alongside Blue Zone Editor Shane Smith and Assistant Blue Zone Editor Glen Morgenstern.

“Ever since Evan covered Duke baseball’s absolutely insane NCAA super regional with ease, I knew he was a special writer and leader in our department,” Saul said. “I look forward to Evan leading this department to new heights and seeing all that he can accomplish.”

Kolin has covered nearly the full gamut of Duke sports, serving as a beat writer for women's basketball, football, baseball and men's basketball. He has also written about men's and women's tennis, volleyball and men's lacrosse, among others.

“Evan has stood out to me since Day 1 with his passion for the organization and strong writing skills," V. 114 Sports Editor Michael Model said. "Evan’s innovative thinking could not come at a better time for The Chronicle, as we actively attempt to pivot toward the digital-friendly media landscape. His understanding of the importance of balancing new initiatives, like video, with our duty to cover all 27 Duke varsity sports will be crucial. I am eagerly awaiting to see the great things the organization can accomplish under his guidance.”

Kolin is currently pursuing a degree in Computer Science with a minor in Economics.

"I've been writing about sports since I was a little kid," Kolin said. "The opportunities I've received because of The Chronicle have been incredible, and I can't wait for even more over the next few years."

Share and discuss “Evan Kolin elected Chronicle sports editor of Vol. 116” on social media.