Some rest for the wicked: Duke cancels classes until 10:00 a.m. Friday due to snow in Durham

The University has announced that it is cancelling classes Friday before 10 a.m. as per the Severe Weather Policy, according to a DukeAlert. 

Barring a new update, classes after that will operate on a normal schedule Friday in light of the snow that graced campus Thursday afternoon and evening.

Thursday’s snowfall marked the first icy precipitation to hit Durham this year. Students could be found making snow angels in the grass in front of the Chapel, taking pictures with the snowy Gothic backdrop and celebrating their extended grace from tenting in K-Ville.

A Duke Today update published Thursday evening described some of the changes one could expect to see to campus to prepare for the precipitation.

“Crews will rope off most external stairs and steep inclines for safety, and members of the Duke community are encouraged to use the priority paths and entrances during severe weather, which may differ from normal routes of travel.”

Duke is following the example set by other Research Triangle institutions. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University canceled classes beginning in the late afternoon Thursday and until 10 a.m. Friday.

Share and discuss “Some rest for the wicked: Duke cancels classes until 10:00 a.m. Friday due to snow in Durham” on social media.