Duke women's basketball's Mikayla Boykin to return to active roster after year-long absence

Redshirt freshman Mikayla Boykin is returning to Duke's active roster for its matchup against Wake Forest.

Redshirt freshman guard Mikayla Boykin will return to the women's basketball team's active roster for the first time in nearly a year. 

The return of the guard was announced via the team's Twitter account Thursday evening, less than an hour before tip-off against Wake Forest. The Blue Devils would fall to the Demon Deacons 60-58 in Boykin's first contest back.

"Mikayla [Bokykin]’s doing a great job coming back," head coach Joanne P. McCallie said.
"Great job. Again, [we were] folding her into the fray and smoothing out the edges there, having her be able to play with Kyra [Lambert] and then substitute for Kyra."

Boykin only saw action in eight contests last season after missing the first seven games while recovering from a torn ACL. During those games, she started five times and averaged nearly 10 points per contest. 

The Clinton, N.C., native re-injured her knee against Miami on Jan. 17, 2019, and is now back on the roster for the first time since. 

Boykin first entered Thursday’s contest with eight minutes left in the first half, and scored two points in eight minutes of action.

Bre Bradham

Bre is a senior political science major from South Carolina, and she is the current video editor, special projects editor and recruitment chair for The Chronicle. She is also an associate photography editor and an investigations editor. Previously, she was the editor-in-chief and local and national news department head. 

Twitter: @brebradham

Email: breanna.bradham@duke.edu

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball's Mikayla Boykin to return to active roster after year-long absence” on social media.