Avalon residents consider implications for community amid possible dorm split and name change

Resident assistants were once told that one half of an independent house would be renamed after a donor, while the other would keep the name. Now, that’s just one option being considered.

Resident assistants were told in a January meeting that Duke would be renaming one half of Avalon, an independent house in Kilgo Quad, after a donor, as multiple RAs confirmed to The Chronicle. However, this split and name change is “one option that we are looking at and no decisions have been made yet,” according to an email sent by Joe Gonzalez, assistant vice president of student affairs and dean for residential life, to The Chronicle Jan. 23.

Gonzalez also repeated the statement he provided Jan. 14 when The Chronicle asked him about whether Avalon was splitting in two.

“One of the university’s priorities is raising money to enhance the residential experience at Duke which would include opportunities to recognize donors, as is done with other buildings on campus,” he wrote. “As that happens, we are going to take special care to ensure that existing house names are preserved, and that any future namings are done in consultation with members of the house community.”

According to senior Rachael Lau, a resident assistant in Avalon, residents have not been officially informed of the ongoing discussions because no conclusions have been reached yet.

Sophomore Molly Chakraborty, an Avalon resident, heard about the possibility through word-of-mouth. She assumed that Avalon is considered because of its larger size. Unlike most residential houses at Duke, Avalon has two sections: Kilgo O and Kilgo P.

She doesn’t think the housing changes would particularly affect her.

“I think that if someone wants to donate money and that’s what they want, then it’s fine,” she said. “I don’t really know if anyone is really that attached to the name ‘Avalon.’”

Chakraborty said that she does not feel a significant connection to Avalon as a community, but she noted some exceptions, specifically Kilgo-specific events like waffles and ice-cream on Sundays. 

Meanwhile, Lau said that regardless of the decision, she hopes that the interests of independent students will be prioritized, especially at a time where housing conversations, such as those about the exclusivity of selective living groups and the distinct experiences of affiliated and independent students, are at the forefront.  

“I hope that HRL considers that if we can’t get rid of selective housing, we need to preserve independent housing communities,” she said.

Lau has lived in Avalon for three years, serving on House Council for one year and as an RA for the following two. She said that these roles, in addition to experiencing Duke’s ongoing housing changes and being located right next to Brownstone, a selective living group in Kilgo J, have made her realize the need for more administrative attention on the independent housing experience.

“Being involved with Avalon has made Duke feel more like home than anything else,” Lau said. “HRL should try to optimize the experiences of independent students over financial decisions.”

Share and discuss “Avalon residents consider implications for community amid possible dorm split and name change” on social media.