The independent news organization of Duke University

Duke football transfers land at new schools: Brown to UCLA, Young reportedly to Florida Atlantic

<p>Aaron Young stole the show Saturday.</p>

Aaron Young stole the show Saturday.

Less than three weeks after they officially entered the NCAA transfer portal, former Blue Devils Brittain Brown and Aaron Young found their new homes.

Brown, a speedy running back who spent four years in Durham, announced his commitment to UCLA on Twitter Tuesday night. Young, a 6-foot-4 wide receiver who was granted a sixth season of eligibility, looks to be joining Florida Atlantic, though it is not official. FAU's Owl Nest first reported Young's commitment Tuesday afternoon with a tweet that the wideout liked, and The Sun Sentinel and NBC Sports both reported Young's commitment as well.

Both Brown and Young are graduate transfers, meaning that they will be eligible to play immediately. 

Brown will join a UCLA team led by head coach Chip Kelly, who made a name for himself as an innovative offensive mind at Oregon. Kelly has struggled thus far with the Bruins, compiling a 7-17 record in his two seasons at the helm. With leading rusher Joshua Kelley graduating, Brown will have a path to significant carries, an opportunity that he did not get with the Blue Devils the last two years. After rushing for 701 yards and seven touchdowns in 2017, Brown could not replicate the same success, losing his starting role to Deon Jackson and battling nagging injuries, running for just 425 yards in 2018 and 2019 combined.

At Florida Atlantic, Young will become a part of a team that is fresh off of one of the best seasons in program history, but the Owls also just lost high-profile head coach Lane Kiffin to Mississippi. Young actually also entered the transfer portal last year, but decided to return to Durham, finishing the 2019 season with a career-high 367 receiving yards.

Share and discuss “Duke football transfers land at new schools: Brown to UCLA, Young reportedly to Florida Atlantic” on social media.