X-Factor: Duke men's basketball's Joey Baker looks to stay hot from three against Brown

Baker leads the Blue Devils in 3-pointers made, hitting 16 of his 30 attempts for a 53.3 percent mark from beyond the arc

After an impressive outing against a solid Wofford team, Duke returns from a short Christmas break to host Brown at Cameron Indoor Stadium Saturday morning. The Blue Zone analyzes a key player from each team that could make the difference:

Duke: Forward Joey Baker

Dozens of Baker diehards scream and shout for him in Cameron throughout every home game, and so far this season the sophomore has not let them down. He might struggle on the defensive end from time to time and his offensive arsenal can be limited, but the energy he brings to the floor and his ability to knock down spot up triples are invaluable assets for this Blue Devil team. If the electrifying floor slap against Georgia State marked Baker’s emergence as a tremendous energizer, then the career-high performance against Wofford just over a week ago explained why Baker deserves the quality minutes he’s been getting over the past four games. 

Baker is averaging 12.8 points in the last four games, including an 11-point performance against a then-No. 11 Michigan State. He's shot an incredible 53.3 percent from beyond the arc this season, converting a team-high 16 triples. It’s fair to say that Baker is single-handedly covering up the unremedied flaws on the Blue Devil perimeter. If we leave out Baker’s 3-point statistics, the rest of the team is shooting just 32.6 percent from the 3-point line this year. Duke can only hope Baker has a decent fireplace at home that keeps his hands warm during  Christmas.

Brown: Guard Brandon Anderson

Brandon Anderson is the best player on this Bear squad by far. The senior is averaging 21 points, 4.4 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 1.9 steals this season, leading the team in minutes per game, points per game, assists per game and steals per game. He now ranks 20th nationally in the scoring category and his impressive 25-point game against St. John's boosted him to a top 20 spot in Brown’s all-time scoring list. A former McDonald's All-American, the undersized 6-foot-1 point guard is a complete scorer that poses a threat for the opposing team from anywhere on the floor. He can dribble penetrate to attack the rim, create space for himself from the perimeter and capitalize on jumpers at a consistent rate.

Anderson will provide an interesting test for the returning Tre Jones. The stifling full-court press of the Blue Devil backcourt might disrupt Anderson’s rhythm since the Bear star has a smaller frame and tends to turn the ball over at a high rate. In addition to his regular production, Anderson will need to get his teammates involved if Brown wants to put up a competitive fight. 

Share and discuss “X-Factor: Duke men's basketball's Joey Baker looks to stay hot from three against Brown” on social media.