Thoughts on the AP poll: Duke men's basketball drops to No. 10 in latest ranking

<p>The Blue Devils' matchup with Michigan State Tuesday won't be the highly ranked game many expected it to be.</p>

The Blue Devils' matchup with Michigan State Tuesday won't be the highly ranked game many expected it to be.

The start to the 2019-20 college basketball season continues to be a rollercoaster, and that is easily reflected in the latest AP Top 25 poll. The Blue Zone will be here every Monday at noon until March giving you the biggest takeaways from each ranking:

Blue Devils take big tumble

For the fourth time this season, there is a new top dog in the AP poll. Duke's two week reign as the No. 1 team was snapped after an embarrassing loss to Stephen F. Austin last Tuesday, a defeat that saw the Blue Devils drop all the way to No. 10 in this week's ranking. Replacing them at the top? Fellow ACC member Louisville, who has taken care of business over its first seven games, but has yet to face another Top 25 opponent.

Michigan's meteoric rise

New Michigan head coach Juwan Howard brought the Wolverines to the Battle 4 Atlantis last week as an unranked team, however, this week is quite the opposite. Michigan won the tournament with wins over North Carolina, now No. 7, and Gonzaga, now No. 9, earning the spot as the fourth ranked team in the country. The Wolverines will face yet another test Tuesday when they visit the top ranked Cardinals in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge.

ACC still dominant

Despite the losses for the Blue Devils and Tar Heels, the ACC continues to be the sports's best conference with five members showing up in the latest poll. After Louisville, Virginia clocks in at No. 5 thanks to a dominant defense that has led the Cavaliers to a perfect start. Also, Florida State joins the AP party for the first time this year after a win over Tennessee earned them the No. 17 spot.

Complete Rankings

1. Louisville 

2. Kansas

3. Maryland

4. Michigan

5. Virginia

6. Ohio State

7. North Carolina

8. Kentucky

9. Gonzaga

10. Duke

11. Michigan State

12. Arizona

13. Oregon

14. Auburn

15. Memphis

16. Seton Hall

17. Florida State

18. Baylor

19. Dayton

20. Colorado

21. Tennessee

22. Washington

23. Villanova

24. Butler

25. Utah State

Share and discuss “Thoughts on the AP poll: Duke men's basketball drops to No. 10 in latest ranking” on social media.