Duke Early Decision acceptance rate increases, applications decrease by more than 550

Welcome Class of 2023! Check out Photo Editor Mary Helen Wood's best photos from today's move-in.

Duke’s Early Decision acceptance rate goes up for the first time in three years.

There were exactly 4,300 Early Decision applicants to the Class of 2024, wrote Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Christoph Guttentag in an email to The Chronicle Thursday evening. As Duke admitted 887 high school seniors, according to a news release, this acceptance rate of 21% marks the first year-to-year increase since the Class of 2021.

"The percentage of the class question is a little harder to answer with precision," Guttentag wrote. "In the last two years we’ve had 1,745 first year students, so 887 would represent 50.8 percent."

For the Class of 2023, 18% were accepted from 4,852 Early Decision applicants, 552 more applications than this year’s Early Decision cycle. 

The Early Decision acceptance rate for the Class of 2022 was 21%, and 24.5% of Early Decision applicants to the Class of 2021 were admitted. For the Class of 2020, 23.5% of Early Decision applicants were accepted. 

“The students who have been admitted in our Early Decision process will be much more than simply the foundation of the Class of 2024,” Guttentag said in the release. “They are academically the strongest Early Decision group in our history, and have been exceptionally engaged in their communities. They have set the tone for what I expect will be an outstanding class entering Duke next fall.”

This article will be updated as more information becomes available.

Stefanie Pousoulides profile
Stefanie Pousoulides | Investigations Editor

Stefanie Pousoulides is The Chronicle's Investigations Editor. A senior from Akron, Ohio, Stefanie is double majoring in political science and international comparative studies and serves as a Senior Editor of The Muse Magazine, Duke's feminist magazine. She is also a former co-Editor-in-Chief of The Muse Magazine and a former reporting intern at PolitiFact in Washington, D.C.

Share and discuss “Duke Early Decision acceptance rate increases, applications decrease by more than 550” on social media.