Insomnia Cookies to Durham? Four takeaways from Duke dining meeting

Insomnia Cookies coming to Durham?

At Wednesday night’s Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee meeting, student representatives discussed the rumor that Insomnia Cookies is coming to Durham next semester. 

Insomnia Cookies is a popular bakery chain that offers late-night delivery on and near many college campuses. Currently, the closest location is in Chapel Hill. 

“It’s very much a rumor right now,” said DUSDAC Co-Chair Allie Rauch, a senior. DUSDAC had previously talked about putting Insomnia Cookies in the Bryan Center space that formerly housed Red Mango. 

However, Aris Marton, associate director of retail operations for Duke Dining, told DUSDAC that Insomnia Cookies did not meet Duke’s merchant accessibility standards.

If Insomnia Cookies does come to Durham now, it probably would not be on Devil Delivery, as the bakery already has a robust delivery system. Robert Coffey, executive director of dining services, noted that “they run the perfect hours” for college students. 

A café in Lilly Library

A new café is coming to East Campus as a part of the upcoming renovation of Lilly Library. It will offer a different selection of food from Trinity Café and will provide more of a variety of options to first-year students on East Campus. 

DUSDAC Co-Chair Annie Roberts, a junior, said the eatery would be coming in a year.

For-here mugs and to-go boxes

The Duke Student Government Services and Sustainability Committee is collaborating with DUSDAC to bring reusable mugs to Café. Currently, to-go cups are the only option for drinks at Café, so the reusable mugs are a part of the Climate Conscious Dining push at Duke. 

Additionally, reusable to-go containers are coming to most vendors in the Brodhead Center. Students can take their food away but are expected to bring these containers back to be washed and reused. Although not all food items can be put in these containers, they are designed to help reduce waste from the current option of paper containers.

Diversity of cuisine options on campus

Groups on campus generally get food for their catered events from vendors on campus. DUSDAC discussed the concern that student groups sometimes want specific food not available from any specific vendors on campus—including a lack of African food on Duke’s campus for DukeAFRICA events. 

DUSDAC discussed adding more African and African diaspora food to Duke food options other than Zweli’s, which is currently offered on Devil Delivery. Rauch suggested that Duke should pursue "more representative cuisine in the rotation of Chef’s Kitchen”.

Paige Carlisle profile
Paige Carlisle

Paige Carlisle is a Trinity senior and a staff reporter for The Chronicle.

Share and discuss “Insomnia Cookies to Durham? Four takeaways from Duke dining meeting” on social media.