Duke men's basketball 2019-20 player preview: Mike Buckmire

<p>Buckmire will look to score more with his minutes this season, totaling just three points in his career.</p>

Buckmire will look to score more with his minutes this season, totaling just three points in his career.

Mike Buckmire

Year: Junior

Height: 6-foot-2

Position: Guard

Last year’s statline: 0.0 PPG, 1.0 RPG, 0.3 APG

Game Breakdown: Earlier in June, Buckmire became the 12th scholarship player on the 2019-20 roster as Mike Krzyzewski rewarded the junior for his efforts as a walk-on over his first two seasons. Buckmire has played sparingly during his career in Durham, but with Brennan Besser graduating last year, the Pennsylvania native is set to take on a bigger role whenever Krzyzewski decides to empty the bench.

In Buckmire's seven career appearances, he has always erred on the side of playing smart basketball, rather than looking to score. The guard looks to get his teammates involved late in games, but isn't afraid to show the Cameron Crazies why he averaged over 22 points per game in high school, especially when he converted an and-one bucket during his first career collegiate minutes.

Role on the Team: Besides fellow former walk-on Justin Robinson, Buckmire should be the first reserve player off the bench when the Blue Devils have big leads late in games. He will always play with a point guard's mentality, but the Germantown Friends School product should take more shots this season after only attempting two last year.

As an older reserve player, Buckmire will also be called upon to show the ropes of the program to the incoming freshmen, as well as providing energy to the bench. Duke also welcomes two new walk-ons to the team in Keenan Worthington and Michael Savarino, and Buckmire will surely play a big role in teaching them what it means to be a walk-on in Durham.

NBA Comparison: Buckmire's lack of scoring and heady play translates most to current Sacramento King Cory Joseph. The former Texas star has never averaged double-digit scoring in his eight year career, but likes to get his teammates involved and has only averaged a single turnover per game for his entire career. One big contrast is that Joseph is an NBA champion after winning the Larry O'Brien trophy with the Spurs in 2014, so hopefully Buckmire can match him with a national championship this April. 

Projected Stats: 0.3 PPG, 1.0 RPG, 3.3 MPG

Stay tuned to the Blue Zone for our continuing player previews. Previous players previewed include Michael Savarino, Keenan Worthington and Justin Robinson.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball 2019-20 player preview: Mike Buckmire” on social media.