Duke in the NFL: Jones catches a break and Cockrell flashes his smarts

Panthers cornerback Ross Cockrell put an end to the Texans' trickery.

Through four weeks of the NFL season, the Blue Zone gives you an update on some of the key former Blue Devils currently at the next level:

Daniel Jones, QB, New York Giants 

Jones couldn’t match his Week 3 performance, but he did enough to subdue an already flailing Redskins squad. The sixth overall pick threw for 225 yards, two picks and one touchdown—a six-yard toss to running back Wayne Gallman. Gallman, who took the injured Saquon Barkley’s place, and the Giants' defense carried Jones to the 24-3 victory over the Redskins and their own first round rookie quarterback, Dwayne Haskins. In less than a full game, Haskins threw three interceptions and no touchdowns—a silver lining for Jones in an otherwise unspectacular game.

Ross Cockrell, CB, Carolina Panthers 

A six-tackle game for Cockrell last week was one of his best NFL performances, but his Week 4 performance might top it. When the Texans tried to recreate the wide receiver-running back pass that the Giants accomplished famously last year, Cockrell was ready. He switched off of covering the tight end to find running back Carlos Hyde and timed his jump perfectly to snatch the ball for the interception. In a game that the Panthers won by just six points, the red zone snag played an instrumental role in the victory.

Breon Borders, CB, Jacksonville Jaguars

Engaged in a fight just to stay on the depth chart, Borders has only seen action on the special teams unit this season. In the Jaguars’ matchup at Denver, Borders made it onto the field for 28 special teams snaps. The Jaguars are Borders’ fourth NFL team so far in his career, and they also house former Blue Devil Joe Giles-Harris on the practice squad.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NFL: Jones catches a break and Cockrell flashes his smarts” on social media.