Here are the changes coming to K-Ville this year, including change to P-Checks

At Wednesday’s meeting, the Duke Student Government Senate approved new policies for Krzyzewskiville in 2019-20.

Head Line Monitor Maddie Manning, a senior, gave a presentation outlining changes to previous tenting policies. One of the most notable changes is the shortening of personal checks (P-Checks) from two nights to one night, which is scheduled for Feb. 28.

“The first night is all about the excitement and having fun,” Manning said. “There will be all sorts of fun events like concerts, basketball street tournaments and food trucks, so we wanted to put the most emphasis on the first night.”

Manning also noted that the two-night schedule placed a “monopoly” on that weekend, and that the shift to one night reduces the chance of conflicts with student schedules. 

However, she also noted a downside to this year’s policy update: parents’ weekend ticket prices—for a men’s basketball exhibition game against Northwest Missouri State—increased from $20. The presentation stated that the price grew to $40, yet the Student Affairs website lists the new price at $50. 

If they wait in line early in the morning, students receive one complimentary ticket but can buy up to two extras. 

Tenting dates for this season were also announced. Black Tenting will start Jan. 11, Blue Tenting Jan. 25 and White and Flex Tenting Feb. 8.

All updated policies were unanimously approved by the Senate.

In other business:

The Senate unanimously approved $2,700 in funding for Duke Swing Dance Club’s “Swing Under the Stars” event, a live jazz performance and swing dance lesson event.

Meanwhile, the Senate unanimously recognized Duke University Stand-up Troupe, a nonexclusive standup comedy group. Audacity Labs, a nonprofit organization that aims to support local high school student startups, was also chartered.

The Senate also unanimously allocated $125 to print out the Equity and Outreach committee’s new birth control flyers, which will be distributed to all East and West Campus bathrooms.

Share and discuss “Here are the changes coming to K-Ville this year, including change to P-Checks” on social media.