Five observations for Duke men's basketball first half against Northwest Missouri State

<p>Coach K is relying on Tre Jones to be a force offensively this season.</p>

Coach K is relying on Tre Jones to be a force offensively this season.

Duke's exhibition debut against NW Missouri State got off to a slow start. Still, the Blue Devils bounced back to secure a 28-22 lead heading into halftime. The spotlight shone too brightly for some, and some weren't shy at all.

Player of the half: Tre Jones

Jones still hasn't found his jumper, but the rest of his game seems to suffice. Jones' hounding perimeter defense forced NW Missouri State into difficult shots or turnovers—although the Blue Devils often couldn't convert on the other end. Jones scored 10 points, leading the team, and also found his teammates for open shots. Again, however, his teammates couldn't get them to go down.

Jack White gets the starting nod, not Javin DeLaurier

Last season, White went on a memorable 0-for-28 streak from beyond the arc, leading head coach Mike Krzyzewski to withhold the Australian from the court during much of postseason play. Against NW Missouri State, Krzyzewski put his faith in White rather than DeLaurier, an effective defender. DeLaurier proved his worth with a thunderous block and a putback layup. 

NW Missouri State keeps it close

Duke shot out to a 11-2 lead, but a steady diet of long-distance heaves by the Bearcats narrowed the gap. Bearcat guard Ryan Welty nailed a deep three to tie the game at 13 apiece with eight minutes left in the half. Another long ball put the Bearcats up 16-15. NW Missouri State shot 40.9 percent from beyond the arc last year, and it seems to be sticking with the same strategy against the Blue Devils.

Nerves galore

Three offensive fouls marred what should have been dominant opening half. The Duke freshmen started 0-for-5 from the field, all on wide open jumpers. Vernon Carey Jr. threw a pass out of bounds, meant for a wide open Jack White, but redeemed himself on the following possession. Carey played volleyball with the Bearcats before burying a cutback layup.

The returners calmed down the squad. Jones and White set the tone early with a breakaway slam and a pair of free throws before a NW Missouri State player went down with an injury. 

The bench got a little colder

Redshirt junior Justin Robinson entered the game after fewer than five minutes had elapsed. Just seconds afterward, Robinson drained a wing three to the delight of the shrieking Cameron Crazies. Two possessions later, the 6-foot-9 Robinson slammed a Bearcat layup off the backboard, but the referee called a push.

Share and discuss “Five observations for Duke men's basketball first half against Northwest Missouri State” on social media.