DSG Senate decharters outdated groups and talks pineapple pizza at meeting

The Duke Student Government Senate dechartered more than 30 student groups, funded a variety of student group events and declared that pineapple on pizza is delicious at their Wednesday meeting.

The DSG Senate unanimously voted to decharter 33 groups due to their failure to re-register on DukeGroups before the deadline, Aug. 9. The Student Organization Finance Committee will retrieve the funds remaining in the dechartered groups’ accounts.

DSG also approved a number of student activities. Phi Beta Sigma’s charity ball was funded $5,900. The funding came after DSG required a roll call vote on an amendment to exclude funding for transportation. The amendment failed after senators cited safety concerns.

The Senate unanimously approved $2,500 in funding for the Asian Students Association’s annual hotpot night. Duke Diya was funded $2,950 for their mixer for South Asian students from Duke, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University. 

The Duke Association for Business Oriented Women received $3,170 in funding for their annual spring business conference. Lambda Theta Alpha’s charity ball was funded $1,700 in funding. Devils en Pointe received $3,763.75 for their ballet performance of The Nutcracker. 

Meanwhile, DSG also held a brief Q&A session where members asked questions to the executive board.

Senator Elizabeth Bock, a first-year, asked how the executive board members would want to “shake things up” in DSG this academic year. Executive Vice President Avery Boltwood, a senior, said that he wanted to change the way the DSG communicates with students. 

“I want to set up our conversations so that when you ask every student on campus, ‘what do you guys think we do?’ they would at least have an answer,” Boltwood said.

Senator Andrew Weatherman, a first-year, also asked the executive board if they like pineapple on pizza. The general consensus was that it is delicious.

However, SOFC chair Devin Mahoney, a junior, strongly opposed the executive board’s stance.

“Absolutely not,” Mahoney said. “My family is Italian and we would never put pineapples on pizza.”

In other business:

Frank Thomas, vice president of External Affairs at Duke University Union, delivered a speech introducing DUU’s objectives and the organization’s plans to collaborate with DSG this academic year. 

Possible ways of cooperation include creating a common-source individual student programming fund or collaborating on DUU’s existing events, such as the Coffeehouse or WXDU radio, to promote future policies or pilot programs.

Share and discuss “DSG Senate decharters outdated groups and talks pineapple pizza at meeting” on social media.