The Devil's in the details: Quentin Harris posts career-best performance against N.C. A&T

<p>Quentin Harris threw for two touchdowns in the first half against Virginia Tech.</p>

Quentin Harris threw for two touchdowns in the first half against Virginia Tech.

They say the devil is in the details. But in Durham, the Blue Devils are in the details—and numbers.  

Each week, the Blue Zone will dissect five key numbers from last week's action in Duke sports, whether they be historic or underwhelming. This week, let the numbers take you inside football’s first win, field hockey's and men's soccer's impressive weekend and volleyball's winning streak.

345

After a poor passing performance against Alabama last week, Quentin Harris had a record-setting night across the board in Duke's 45-13 win over N.C. A&T. The redshirt senior signal caller tossed the ball for 345 yards to 10 different receivers to set a new career high in passing yards. Harris completed 30 of his 42 pass attempts to set another personal best in completions. However, the captain did not just limit his damage to the aerial attack. The dual-threat Harris also rushed for 83 yards on 13 carries to tie a career high in rushing yards. Harris finished the game with five total touchdowns and a QBR of 89.5, topping his 23.3 mark against Alabama.

105 

Harris' breakout performance would not have been possible if not for the work of his receiving corps. The wideouts were headlined by true freshman Jalon Calhoun, who had a coming out party in Durham Saturday evening. Calhoun caught eight passes for 105 yards and two touchdowns—the first two scores of his young career. The South Carolina native played quarterback in high school but showed little trouble adjusting to being on the receiving end of the throw. With Duke graduating most of its top wideouts from last season and Jake Bobo out indefinitely, Calhoun's emergence is a critical development for the Blue Devil offense.

3

The Duke field hockey team entered the 21st annual B1G/ACC Cup ranked No. 3 in the country. Facing off against No. 15 Northwestern and No. 2 Maryland, the Blue Devils scored three goals over the two contests, and more importantly, recorded two wins. On Friday, Duke dispatched the Wildcats in a 2-1 2OT thriller when Leah Crouse knocked home a pass from Margaux Paolino in the second extra period to give the Blue Devils a win. Duke overcame an early 1-0 deficit in the matchup when Northwestern scored just 37 seconds into the contest.

Riding high off their Friday victory, the Blue Devils avenged last season's 4-3 loss to the Terrapins by blanking the national champion runner-ups 1-0. Duke jumped out to an early lead Sunday, with Paolino scoring 13 minutes into the game to guide the Blue Devils to their fourth undefeated performance in the last five seasons in the cup.

Princeton and Harvard might be higher than Duke in the college rankings, but men's soccer showed its Ivy League foes who owns the turf. The Blue Devils rolled offensively, scoring seven goals over the two contests to maintain their perfect record. Daniele Proch had two goals in each contest while Max Moser had three assists on the weekend to lead No. 2 Duke to a 4-0 win over the Tigers and 3-0 win over the Crimson.

4

After dropping its first two contests of the season—including a loss to No. 1 Stanford—Duke volleyball has put together a four-game winning streak. After defeating Charleston 3-0 last Tuesday, the Blue Devils handled Wofford and UNC-Wilmington 3-1 apiece at the Duke Invitational on Friday before sweeping Appalachian State 3-0 Sunday to extend their winning streak to four.  

Share and discuss “The Devil's in the details: Quentin Harris posts career-best performance against N.C. A&T” on social media.