Javin DeLaurier, Tre Jones and Jack White named Duke men's basketball captains

Tre Jones joins Jack White and Javin DeLaurier as captains for the 2019-20 season.

After opting to return to Durham instead of entering the NBA Draft, sophomore point guard Tre Jones has been named the lone new captain for this year's Duke squad.

Jones will join 2018-19 captains Javin DeLaurier and Jack White as the Blue Devils' first trio of captains since the 2016-17 season, when Matt Jones, Amile Jefferson and Grayson Allen—the last of whom was later stripped of the honor—served as team captains. Allen was the lone Duke captain the following season, before DeLaurier and White assumed the role last year.

"I am thrilled to have Jack, Javin and Tre as our captains for this season," head coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a release from the team. "Javin and Jack did an incredible job last year leading our team. To have them back with that experience as seniors, and to add our point guard, is important. They are each great leaders in their own way and I'm confident our team is in good hands."

Jones is also the first Blue Devil sophomore to serve as captain since Rodney Hood was a captain during his redshirt sophomore season in 2013-14. The Apple Valley, Minn., native was projected to be a first round pick in June's NBA Draft, but instead decided to return to Duke for at least one more year. He averaged 9.4 points and 5.3 assists last season, as well as being named to the All-ACC Defensive Team.

Seniors DeLaurier and White are likely to come off the bench this year, but will still be valuable role players. DeLaurier averaged 3.8 points and 4.4 rebounds last season, with White adding 4.1 points and 4.7 boards per contest.

Share and discuss “Javin DeLaurier, Tre Jones and Jack White named Duke men's basketball captains” on social media.