Number of EMS calls remains consistent with past years for 2019 O-Week

Monday marked the first day of classes for the 2019 fall semester. Missed all the hustle and bustle? Here are some highlights from our News Photo Editor, Emily Qin.

The number of Emergency Medical Services calls remained consistent with those in the previous two years, while the IFC president reported no violations to fraternities’ self-enforced first-year ban.

Vice President for Administration Kyle Cavanaugh wrote in an email that there were five EMS calls this O-Week, which is similar to the six calls in 2018 and four in 2017. Cavanaugh declined to comment further on the reason behind the calls, but EMS calls are often made in response to alcohol-related issues. 

During O-Week, there were four reported cases of underage consumption, seven student alcohol violations and three student drug violations, according to Duke University Police Department’s police blotter.

The Interfraternity Council implemented a rule banning first-years from attending fraternity parties from Aug. 20 to Aug. 26, the first time such a regulation has been put in place for O-Week. IFC was tasked with enforcing the rule.

There were no reported violations of the regulation, wrote IFC President Harrison Labban, a senior.

“From my perspective, we had a successful O-Week this year,” he wrote in an email. “With regards to this policy, it sparked a lot of helpful dialogue within and outside of our community and, ultimately, we did not receive any allegations of violations.”

Sue Wasiolek, dean of students and associate vice president for student affairs, told The Chronicle earlier in August that she was “enormously proud and pleased” of IFC’s new rule.

“This decision will better enable the first-year students to focus on their transition to Duke while the fraternity members are able to get settled back on campus and begin to plan for the new year,” Wasiolek wrote at the time.

Share and discuss “Number of EMS calls remains consistent with past years for 2019 O-Week” on social media.