2019 North Carolina football season preview

2018 Season: 2-9 (1-7 in the ACC)

Head Coach: Mack Brown (1st Season)

Coming off a 2-9 campaign, the Tar Heels are hoping for a fresh start for the 2019 season. The legendary Mack Brown, known most notably for his tenures at North Carolina and Texas—where he won the 2005 BCS National Championship—has taken over the helm following back-to-back nine-loss seasons for the first time since 2002-03. Brown is largely credited with turning around both Tar Heel and Longhorn programs.

Brown will be working with a new quarterback under center following the transfer of 2018 starter Nathan Elliott as four-star recruit Sam Howell will lead the offense. The Monroe, N.C., native is just one of a few new faces on the Tar Heels offensive attack. North Carolina returns its top two leading rushers from last season, Antonio Williams and Michael Carter Jr. in addition to four of its top six receivers in Dazz Newsome, Beau Corrales, Dyami Brown and Rontavius Groves.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Tar Heels will show a different look on the field. North Carolina has a big hole to fill with the departures of its top three leading tacklers. Defensive back Myles Dorn will look to anchor the defense and patrol the secondary. Dorn tied for the team lead last season with two interceptions.

The Tar Heel defense will be tested from the outset with matchups against South Carolina and Miami to kick-off the season. The schedule does not get any easier from there with a home matchup against No. 1 Clemson and a pair of road games against perennially dominant forces in Virginia Tech and  N.C. State.

Michael Model

Digital Strategy Director for Vol. 115, Michael was previously Sports Editor for Vol. 114 and Assistant Blue Zone Editor for Vol. 113.  Michael is a senior majoring in Statistical Science and is interested in data analytics and using data to make insights.

Share and discuss “2019 North Carolina football season preview” on social media.