2019 NBA Draft: Suits that shined in the spotlight

Zion WIlliamson showed off his fashion during his time on the bench midseason, and donned a flashy white suit at the draft.

Three Blue Devils were selected in the top 10 of the 2019 NBA Draft with Zion Williamson headlining at number one overall. It has been a longstanding tradition for prospects to show up to the draft in their finest suits as they get to shake the commissioner's hand in style. Below is a breakdown of some of the most notable outfits worn last night.

Zion Williamson

Up first we have Zion Williamson with a classic, off-white suit with a Rolex as a slight flex. With the amount of eyes on the face of this year’s draft, it’s no wonder he decided to take the modest route. He’ll be sure to have his fair share in the spotlight for years to come. 

Oh yeah, and does his fit remind you of anybody?

R.J. Barrett

Barrett was anything but quiet in his outfit decision, opting for the Pepto Bismol-esque route before getting drafted third overall by the Knicks. Barrett’s all-pink fit was complemented by red-bottom Louis Vuitton dress shoes with no socks. The star of the suit was the Canada flag printed throughout the inside of Barrett’s jacket along with the words “Maple Mamba”. I’m very disappointed he decided to adopt that nickname, however I hope his career in New York pans out.

Cam Reddish

If you were looking to tear up over a 6-foot-8 prospects choice of clothing, you came to the right place. Reddish, who was picked tenth overall by the Atlanta Hawks, went with a black and gold theme on the outside, with custom designs on the inside of his jacket. Among those designs was a shoutout to his hometown Norristown, Pa., his self-made tagline “CamFam”, and most importantly, a breast cancer ribbon with the words “Mama Jones” in support of his friend, and current Blue Devil Tre Jones’ mother who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. The Brotherhood is as real as ever, and this was my favorite suit in this year’s draft.

Darius Garland

The point guard out of Vanderbilt was taken fifth overall by the Cleveland Cavaliers, and though most NBA fans are happy for him, Twitter is split on his draft night dressings. I personally side with the notion that his semi-beige trench coat makes him look more like movie villain than the point guard of the future. Nonetheless, the SEC backcourt pairing of him and Collin Sexton should be a fun project to watch.

Bol Bol

Last but not least, but last on the draft boards, was Bol Bol. As one of the few players to get invited to draft room but not get selected in the first round, I’d feel safe in saying that Bol was the best looking second-round draft pick of the night. His all-black suit was flaired with a silver spider design on the front 一 a design backed by the legendary Young Thug himself. Sadly though, his drip did not help his draft stock, as Bol was selected 44th overall in the second round.

Editor's Note: An earlier version of this article said Darius Garland went fourth in the draft, not fifth. The Chronicle regrets the error.

Share and discuss “2019 NBA Draft: Suits that shined in the spotlight” on social media.