SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke women's soccer commit Sophie Jones named finalist for Gatorade National Girls Player of the Year

Sophie Jones will be relied upon to help replace Duke's graduated midfielders, including Taylor Racioppi.

With the team already in preparation of a new season, Duke’s newest recruits have already begun to make history as Blue Devils. 

On Thursday, soon-to-be freshman midfielder Sophie Jones was named a Top three finalist for the 2018-2019 Gatorade National Girls Soccer Player of the Year. 

Jones, who has played with the U20 USA national team, has already achieved a rare accolade by winning the 2018-19 Gatorade California Girls Soccer Player of the Year due to her elite play throughout her senior year of high school. Now, the Menlo Park, Calif., native has the chance to ink her name closer to the top of the history books by winning the whole thing—this would all happen before she even stepped foot on Koskinen Stadium. 

These accomplishments add on to an impressive resume Jones has built, as she was also named the 2018 United Soccer Coaches Youth Girls National Player of the Year.

Jones headlines Duke’s incoming freshman class, the fifth-ranked class in the nation, which will have to replace a talented group of just-graduated seniors. In particular, Jones will most likely take the place of either Kat McDonald or Taylor Racioppi, two midfielders who finished their final seasons in Durham. However, Jones’ skills, experience and recent national recognitions give Blue Devil nation hope that the centerfield will be kept in good hands. 

Share and discuss “Duke women's soccer commit Sophie Jones named finalist for Gatorade National Girls Player of the Year” on social media.