With the brotherhood back on campus, Duke men's basketball looks ahead to next season

Tre Jones will lead another talented Duke class after returning with something to prove.

Every year after Memorial Day, Mike Krzyzewski brings back former players and his current team to Durham for a five-day fantasy camp known as the K Academy. Stars from previous years like Luke Kennard, Justise Winslow, Shelden Williams and more are back on campus to coach teams and meet the newest members of the brotherhood like Vernon Carey Jr., Wendell Moore, and Matthew Hurt.

With all of Duke’s NBA Draft and recruiting decisions complete, it looks like the 2019-20 roster is set, barring any late changes. The top three scorers from last year and Marques Bolden are gone, but Tre Jones and Javin DeLaurier are back with a whole new cast of freshmen.

During the opening games of the camp, Krzyzewski, Jones, Moore, and Grayson Allen met with members of the media Wednesday to discuss what’s new and how next season is shaping up.

Here are some key takeaways:

Krzyzewski on Bolden deciding to keep his name in the NBA Draft and what it means to lose his experience:

• "We're really happy about Marques staying in. He got some good, positive feedback. We'll have an older upperclass, which is something we need. Jack [White] and Javin, Justin Robinson will be in graduate school, Alex [O'Connell] and Jordan [Goldwire] are juniors, which is hard to believe. They've learned a lot. We didn't look at any transfers or grad-transfers. We just wanted to stick with the guys we have."

Krzyzewski on what this recruiting class will bring to the program:

• "A lot will be expected of them, especially the two big guys because we don't have a lot of depth at big. We'll play a style that will be suited to what we have. We're really excited about Wendell [Moore]. He's a winner, and he can play everywhere on the court. Getting Cassius [Stanley] late athletically and basketball wise, he can contribute. I think a lot more balance. Hopefully we'll be a deep team and a healthy team. And that shoes stay on and don't break [laughs]."

Krzyzewski on his grandson Michael Savarino walking on the team next season:

• “Michael is a leader. He’s a good shooter and player. He’s also is an outstanding student, so he’s able to be admitted to Duke. We expect him to be a heck of a walk-on for us, and I don’t expect any problems from the mother, and I better not expect any problems from the grandmother [laughs].”

Jones on the recovering from the surgeries for a hip and hernia he has gone under this offseason:

• “I had a couple things done, but I’m feeling well and I’m back working out. I’m getting going now, spending time down at Duke and living here at the summer. I’m going to be taking summer classes in the second session and just working out.”

Jones on why he decided not to test the NBA Draft waters and then withdraw:

• “There was no harm. Definitely could have tested the waters, but I had no intentions of leaving. I just felt like I had a lot more to accomplish here. Wasn‘t ready to leave after this year, and I had to get some things done back home. So, I was able to go back home and spend some time with my mom and my family within the past couple weeks to get some things done, and I’ve just been back here working out.”

Allen on bouncing back and forth between the NBA and G-League:

• “Playing in the G-League was a lot of fun and a great opportunity for me just because I got to go out and implement a lot of the things I’ve been working on. It gives me film, something to look at where I can see things I’ve been working on in practice. There were stretches towards the end of the year where I think it was four or five cities in fours days in four different games between the G-League and NBA games. That made it a little bit of a grind, but I enjoyed it.”

Moore on Jones’ return for his sophomore season:

• “I was really excited for him. He did what was best for him, and I feel he made us a lot better. I think him coming back was a huge piece for us, and I think now we can make a lot of noise this year.”

Moore on the identity of the 2019 recruiting class:

• “I think we’ll jell together really well. Obviously last year’s class had the No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3 player, and we don’t have that coming in, but I think we’re a lot deeper. Everyone on the team one through twelve can play, and I think is that’s a big thing.”

Share and discuss “With the brotherhood back on campus, Duke men's basketball looks ahead to next season” on social media.