Duke football head coach David Cutcliffe extended through June 2023

<p>Coach David Cutcliffe and the Blue Devils are looking for their first win in 2019.</p>

Coach David Cutcliffe and the Blue Devils are looking for their first win in 2019.

A week after six of his former players moved toward careers in the NFL, it's now Duke football head coach David Cutcliffe time to be rewarded.

The Blue Devils announced Friday afternoon that they have extended Cutcliffe through June 30, 2023, keeping the Birmingham, Ala., native as the head of the program for the foreseeable future.

“Coach Cutcliffe has an unprecedented record of success both on and off the field, and I am delighted that he will remain at Duke for at least another four years,” Duke President Vincent E. Price said in a release from the team. “His commitment to academic excellence and the personal growth of his student-athletes reflects our core values and sets an example for Duke’s peers.”

Cutcliffe took over as Duke head coach in 2008, and helped to turn around a fledgling team. In the three seasons prior to his arrival, the Blue Devils won just three games.

Under Cutcliffe's watch, the Blue Devils have went 67-72, including a 2013 season where Duke took home the ACC Coastal division crown.

“To be sure, there is no better fit for Duke University and its prestigious football program than David Cutcliffe,” Vice President and Director of Athletics Kevin White said in the release. “David has set the standard of achievement—academically, athletically and socially—and what he has accomplished over the past 11 years is truly exceptional.  His passion for excellence and vision for the program, create the right combination to guide us well into his second decade on campus.  In my humble opinion, David Cutcliffe is clearly the very best college football coach in the country.”

Duke will open the 2019 season with a matchup against Alabama, Cutcliffe's alma mater, Aug. 31 in Atlanta at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, home of the NFL's Atlanta Falcons.

Share and discuss “Duke football head coach David Cutcliffe extended through June 2023” on social media.