DUSDAC names three food trucks to headline annual food truck rodeo

Three trucks will participate in the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee's annual food truck rodeo. 

The trucks headlining the festival are Soomsoom Pita Pockets, Arepa Culture NC and Sympathy for the Deli. The rodeo will take place April 19 and last from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Duke Student Wellness parking lot, according to the Facebook event page.

The fourth potential truck, Bamboo Cookhouse, emailed committee member Allie Rauch, a junior, to inform her it will no longer come to campus for the rodeo. Owners of this Filipino food truck received another event invitation, and they are leaving the town for that event instead.

Soomsoom is a Mediterranean food truck that already operates at Swift Avenue on alternating Mondays at 5 p.m. Arepa Culture NC is a family-owned food truck specializing in Venezuelan cuisine, especially arepas—cornmeal bread sandwiches originating in South America. Sympathy for the Deli is a mobile deli that serves sandwiches. 

The committee also decided to offer three more tickets to students who agree to take a survey after trying all three trucks with their initial tickets. The committee said at a meeting in January that it would distribute ten dollars worth of tickets to students to use at the rodeo. 

In other business:

Robert Coffey, executive director of dining services, said the Cafe Edens renovation is on schedule, and the managers are supportive of adding food trucks near the Edens Quadrangle once the Hollows dormitories open. 

Coffey and Aris Marton, assistant director of retail operations for Duke Dining, also said The Commons lunch buffet may be replaced with a brunch menu that includes an omelette station and à la carte options.

"When we make changes, be forewarned, there will also be price changes," Marton said. 

Share and discuss “DUSDAC names three food trucks to headline annual food truck rodeo” on social media.