2019 NCAA tournament preview: Central Florida

Central Florida Knights: 23-8, 13-5 in the American Athletic Conference

Head coach: Johnny Dawkins (3rd season) 

Players to watch: B.J. Taylor (16.0 PPG); Tacko Fall (10.9 PPG, 7.3 RPG, 75.4 FG%); Aubrey Dawkins (15.2 PPG, 5.0 RPG) 

Season recap: Central Florida entered its last game of the regular season on a four-game win streak, the latter two of those four against top 25 teams in Houston and Cincinnati. The team looked to carry its momentum into the AAC tournament with a win against Temple, but it dropped that contest 67-62. After splitting their contests against Memphis in the regular season, the Knights looked to take the season advantage in the tournament but were instead blown out by 24 points. 

UCF is not known as a prolific offensive team—rather, it relied on its top-25 scoring defense that holds its opponents to just under 64 points per game. The Knights have three players averaging double digits in points per game, but it’s 7-foot-6 senior Tacko Fall who is the most impressive. He shoots 75.4 percent from the field, and when his teammates get the ball to him, there are few people in the country that can stop him.  

The Knights haven’t appeared in the NCAA tournament since 2005 and they’re still searching for their first win in the tournament, with an overall record of 0-4. But, after a brief appearance in the top 25 this season, this looks like a promising year to finally make it into the Round of 32. 

How they make a run: The Knights emulate their performances against Houston and Cincinnati at the end of the regular season by doubling down on defense and getting to the free-throw line. 

How they falter: UCF's offense stagnates as it stands around and dribbles, rather than passing to find the open man, causing the Knights to turn the ball over. 

Share and discuss “2019 NCAA tournament preview: Central Florida” on social media.