X-factor: Duke men's basketball will need a Luke Maye stopper to step-up

<p>Marques Bolden is Duke's best rim protector, and his defense could turn things around for the Blue Devils.</p>

Marques Bolden is Duke's best rim protector, and his defense could turn things around for the Blue Devils.

The Blue Devils head to Chapel Hill for a rematch with the Tar Heels this Saturday, hoping to avenge their home loss last month. The Blue Zone takes a look at a player from each team that could be a difference-maker in the game:

Duke: Center Marques Bolden

In Duke’s last matchup against North Carolina, the team failed to stop Tar Heel Forward Luke Maye from wreaking havoc in the paint. Maye scored a game-high 30 points and pulled down 15 rebounds to help North Carolina come out with an 88-72 win. Without freshman Zion Williamson on the floor, Duke’s bigs looked hopeless as Maye did whatever he wanted near the rim. 

Junior Marques Bolden played 18 minutes but scored no points and only earned two boards. However, as Duke’s most competent defensive and offensive big-man, head coach Mike Krzyzewski may call upon him to make an impact against Maye down low. If Williamson will in fact sit out against North Carolina, Bolden provides Duke its best chance at avenging its prior defeat.

North Carolina: Guard Coby White

While he may seem like an obvious candidate to lead his team in scoring, being defended by freshman Tre Jones is no walk in the park. Coby White, who averages 16.2 points per game, scored just nine points against a Zion-less Blue Devil defense. Jones forced White to commit six turnovers, something the North Carolina guard has struggled with throughout the season. Jones will not give White a chance to relax Saturday night, as every dribble White takes will be challenged.

However, if White figures out how to score and get his teammates involved efficiently, he will break down the heart of Duke’s defense. Without Jones’ multiple steals, which would allow Duke to score in transition, North Carolina can focus on locking up the Blue Devils in half-court sets. White has the potential to help the Tar Heels win by an even wider margin, as Duke’s offense has looked pitiful without Williamson.

Share and discuss “X-factor: Duke men's basketball will need a Luke Maye stopper to step-up” on social media.